What can I expect after my FUT hair transplant?
Following your FUT hair transplant, you can expect to receive detailed post-operative instructions from your doctor. In addition to any questions you might have, if you have concerns about the procedure, our staff will be more than happy to provide you with the information you need. Following your procedure, our office will call you to check up on you. Below is a general overview of what to expect after your FUT hair transplant in terms of instructions, post-op care, and things to avoid, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor:
· On the night that your FUT hair transplant took place, sleep with your head elevated. You will want to do this for the next several nights as well. You will have medications prescribed to you for pain as well as for easier sleep, though they may be unnecessary. Antibiotics are rarely required.
· On the morning after the procedure, carefully remove the bandage headband. That morning as well as at noon and that night, shower and gently shampoo your scalp using the provided shampoo that is specially formulated. You will not need to replace the bandage.
· For the remainder of the week, shower twice a day.
· During the week following your FUT hair transplant, shampoo gently.
· Do not drink alcohol for the three days following the FUT hair transplant.
· Ten days after the FUT hair transplant, you can return to your normal routine of shampooing your scalp and overall hair care methods. By this time, the hair grafts are firmly and permanently in place so you do not need to be concerned about dislodging them.
· Do not smoke for two weeks following the FUT hair transplant.
· Completely cover the top of your head when in strong sunlight. After two weeks, it is acceptable to use a sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30 or higher.
· Three weeks following the FUT hair transplant, it is acceptable to get a haircut.
· Four weeks following the FUT hair transplant, it is acceptable to dye your hair.
· Limit your exercise and physical activity during the first week. For example, do not lift or move in such a way that may place pressure on the donor area of your scalp or cause it to stretch. The length of time that you need to avoid strenuous activity will be determined by your doctor. Factors that will impact that decision include the type of donor incision used as well as the laxity of your scalp which varies from one patient to the next.
· Ten days following the FUT hair transplant you are encouraged to return to our office for a follow-up exam, but if this is inconvenient to you, your doctor may advise that a phone consultation is acceptable.
· As long as you follow all of your doctor’s post-operative care instructions, you can expect that the FUT hair transplant will be nearly undetectable from 7-10 days following the surgery.
· You can expect that your newly transplanted hair will be fully grown in at around the one year mark following the surgery.To learn more about FUT hair transplant surgery, call our office to schedule a consultation with our doctor.
To learn more about FUT hair transplant surgery, call our office to schedule a consultation with our doctor.