If you are interested in an FUE hair transplant, you likely have many different questions about the procedure, how it is performed, and how permanent are the results. As a hair loss specialists, we have created a general overview of the most common questions about FUE hair transplants. If you have personal questions, or would like to find out if you are a candidate, please call a doctor for an appointment with a hair loss specialist.
How Does FUE Hair Transplants Work?
FUE hair transplants enable a specialist to remove hair follicles or hair follicle units from an one area of the scalp and place them in a new area. The treatment can be performed manually or automatically, or both. How the follicle extraction method is utilized will depend on the type and texture of the hair, the length of the follicle shafts, the angle, and more.
What Are the Advantages of FUE?
- No linear scarring
- Only 10 -15 days are generally needed for a full recovery
- There is less post-op pain and discomfort
- Hair harvesting can be extracted from the sides and back of the scalp, the beard, and the body
What Are Some of the Disadvantages of FUE?
- FUE hair transplants are limited by the number of hair follicles that can be extracted and placed in one day
- Sometimes more than one session will be needed
- A session can take 4 – 8 hours
- The time, experience, knowledge, and tools required for the procedure are reflected in its cost – which is higher than other methods
Will There Be a Scar After FUE Hair Transplants?
FUE hair transplants involve the individual removal of hair units; this means there is no linear scar. There will be small wounds that will scab over after 2-5 days. About one week to ten days after the procedure, you won’t notice the scabs.
Who is An Ideal FUE Hair Transplant Candidate?
FUE hair transplants do not leave a linear scar in the back of the scalp making it a good choice for patients who prefer short hair styles. The procedure is also ideal for those who:
- Are above the age of 30
- Are showing obvious signs of hair loss
- Eat well
- Are physically active or maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Do not have an autoimmune disease
- Try to maintain low stress levels
- Does not lack a donor area
During the consultation, the hair loss specialist will consider the above factors to determine whether or not you are an eligible candidate.
What is the Cost of FUE Hair Transplants?
Every case is different. The cost will be reflected upon various factors including how many grafts are needed, the amount of coverage required, and the results the patient is seeking. In general, FUE is more than FUT strip treatment.
FUE hair transplants are a good choice for those who are looking for an effective way to treat hair loss. To learn more, please call a doctor today.